A Day in the Park


My parents had suggested several times that we should wait until the baby was born to move. Mike didn’t want to initially because we put so much work into finding a job, delaying it just felt like all that effort was wasted. I agree, but more importantly I am so relieved that we didn’t because as hard as this was, I’m pretty sure a second tiny human would have magnified that effort one hundred fold. Even putting aside the whole getting birth certificate and passport thing, having to do all that paper work and expense for a fourth family member would have been painful, not to mention how much harder that would have made the whole luggage on the plane situation and getting to the new place. I might add that Mike turned out not to be crazy, the car seat did come in handy, in fact we couldn’t have gotten a taxi from airport to apartment without one.

    Anyway, our first full day in Copenhagen was quite good. We all went to bed at our normal times, albeit Walt popped up at midnight and it took me two hours to get him back to sleep. This made me tired, but no more than one some days in Pembroke and still better than that time a month ago where I got all of four hours of non-consecutive sleep, because Walt’s molars were coming in. Walter initially objected to his new temporary bed, complaining it was too small, and since he had spent the week on a Queen at his grandparent’s house, I kind of got that. However when he woke at midnight and wanted to sleep in ours, he realized our bed with three people was even smaller. Oh, I must say, the beds are a real treat. It’s hard moving from somewhere that we’d spent lots of effort and money to make exactly how we wanted it to a place where nothing is how we want it. Everything feels cheap, or a compromise or just wrong, but the beds are lovely. They’re memory foam or its cousin, soft and comforting and easy on my very pregnant body. The shower is also surprisingly nice. It reminded me of the one Er Yang has in China, which is not pleasant, but despite the fact that there is no stall, just a curtain and a drain in the floor, the controls are very precise and it makes for a very pleasant shower, just as good as at home.

    I woke at 6:40 and woke Walter at 7AM to keep him on schedule. Mike had fixed the Apple TV before he went to bed, so Walt could watch Puffin Rock and Masha and Bear (or Masha og Bjørnen as we watched it in Danish). I am excited to try out all the Danish shows we now have access to on Netflix. They even had an ancient version of the Moonin Trolls that held Walter’s interest. We did end up buying him Sara & Duck a this seems to have no presence in Denmark. Walter played with Carlo’s toys for several hours while I rearranged furniture and finished unpacking. At 10 AM we went out for an adventure. 

    I was shocked that despite my watch telling me the temperature was only 40 F it didn’t feel cold at all outside. The sun was strong and warm. Considering that in just April the sun is already rising at 5:30 and setting at 8:30, I think this is why the landscape is so verdant. It might be cold, but the sun makes it feel warmer and there sure is a lot of it! We went in search of a playground, but I read the map wrong and ended up trespassing on an elementary school instead. 

    There were lots of kids, looking around 8 playing about, but no grown ups. I saw no signs posted saying it was off limits during school hours and when some teachers did appear, they smiled and waved rather than scowling and chasing us off as I’d expect in the US. The place was shocking in the most delightful way. There were few adults and they seemed to be playing with the kids rather than shouting at them not to do this or that. The kids had an almost feral quality, playing like real unfettered children, de-leafing shrubbery, chasing each other with sticks, climbing all over and everything and having a grand time. There were these heavy duty trampolines, too small for multiple people to use at once and with mesh holes big enough to let grit fall through. Walter loved them. There was also a big structure with many a way up, but absolutely no slides to go down. Walter had me catch him. The kids were primarily blonde, Walt had hair on the dark side, but not out of the norm. Despite everyone I’ve seen around there being Middle Eastern, only about a 5th or 6th of the kids looked non-Danish. I think maybe they were Somali, being dark of complexion with silky hair and features I haven’t really seen on the South Shore of Boston.